See source attribution and disclaimer notice
Derived from Event Data Source: USGS. See details below
Automated Preliminary Details – subject to review.
Magnitude 6.4 [subject to review and confirmation]
- Date-Time: 2015-03-23 @ 04:51:37 UTC
- Earthquake location: 18.384°S, 69.146°W
- Seismic Region: 8 – Andean South America
- Seismic Geo Area: 1230 – Northern Chile
- Earthquake depth: 120.9 km
- Tsunamigenic: No
- Felt reports?: YES
- Status: REVIEWED
- Event ID: us10001ppx
As from the end of next month (April 2015) the automated alerts will be switched to using the EMSC data rather than the USGS, or possibly a combination of both. This change has been made necessary because of the continual changes occurring on the USGS web site making it hard to keep track of the data.
This may have an effect upon the number of Mag 6 earthquakes recorded during the year as the two providers do not always come up with the same answers.