Automated Preliminary Details – subject to review.
Derived from Event Data Source: USGS. See details below
Magnitude 6.3 [subject to review and confirmation]
This link shows the event and any aftershocks during the following month using the IRIS Earthquake Browser
- Date-Time: 2014-01-20T02:52:44.750Z UTC
- Earthquake location: 40.650°S, 175.864°E
- Seismic Region: 11 – New Zealand Region
- Seismic Geo Area: 1594 – Wairarapa N.Z.
- Earthquake depth: 27.4 km
- 38km (23mi) NNE of Masterton, New Zealand
- 39km (24mi) SSE of Palmerston North, New Zealand
- 49km (30mi) E of Levin, New Zealand
- 77km (47mi) ENE of Paraparaumu, New Zealand
- 115km (71mi) NE of Wellington, New Zealand
- Tsunamigenic: No
- Felt reports?: No
- Status: REVIEWED
- Event ID: usb000m4i4
Mag 6+ events in region in the last 20 years ~500 miles radius of the event (Max 100) from IRIS
(The current event may not appear for a few minutes or so after the time.)
The above events in the IRIS Earthquake Browser 3D viewer
Local News Report
A severe 6.2-magnitude earthquake has damaged houses, cut power to thousands, and caused office workers to evacuate their buildings in the Manawatu and Wairarapa areas.