Preliminary Details – subject to review.
Derived from Event Data Source: USGS See details below
Magnitude 6.0 [subject to review and confirmation]
The USGS are playing a silly game here. I have waited to post this for 3 days now expecting them to raise the magnitude to 6.0 Mw but they leave it a 5.9mb despite that fact that they have two tensor solutions that put it at magnitude 6.0.
The other two main providers also have this at magnitude 6 as does Japan. 5.9mb relates approximately to 6.1 Mw.
USGS,2013-12-08T17:24:53.990Z,44.50960,149.07190,5.9mb,25.4800,Kuril Isls (221)
- Date-Time: 2013-12-08T17:24:53.990Z UTC
- Earthquake location: 44.510°N, 149.072°E
- Seismic Region: 19 – Japan – Kuril Islands – Kamchatka Peninsula
- Seismic Geo Area: 2210 – Kuril Islands
- Earthquake depth: 25.5 km
- 123km (76mi) SE of Kuril’sk, Russia
- 310km (192mi) ENE of Nemuro, Japan
- 329km (204mi) ENE of Shibetsu, Japan
- 387km (240mi) E of Abashiri, Japan
- 1262km (784mi) NE of Tokyo, Japan
- Event ID: usb000lds9