THIS EARTHQUAKE HAS BEEN DOWNGRADED TO A MAG 5.8 MB Time will tell as GFZ have 5.8 Mw and 5.8 mb is getting on to a mag 6. At this time EMSC still have this as the original 6.3 Mw.
Magnitude Mw 6.3 Region KURIL ISLANDS Date time 2012-07-20 06:32:56.0 UTC Location 49.42 N ; 156.19 E Depth 10 km Distances 1340 km NE Sapporo (pop 1,883,027 ; local time 15:32:56.3 2012-07-20) 440 km SW Mokhovaya, petropavlovsk-kamch (pop 22,815 ; local time 19:32:56.3 2012-07-20) 435 km SW Petropavlovsk-kamchatskiy (pop 187,282 ; local time 19:32:56.3 2012-07-20) Source parameters reviewed by a seismologist
Derived from Event Data Source: USGS See location map below
It is possible that these two earthquakes are precursors to a larger event. There are two PDF files you can download in relation to this.
- Date-Time: Friday, July 20, 2012 @ 06:32:56 UTC
- Earthquake location: 49.348°N, 156.170°E
- Earthquake depth: 9.9 km
- 148km (91mi) S of Severo-Kuril’sk, Russia
- 428km (265mi) SSW of Vilyuchinsk, Russia
- 446km (277mi) SSW of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Russia
- 454km (282mi) SSW of Yelizovo, Russia
- 2024km (1257mi) NE of Tokyo, Japan
- Event ID: usb000bbdu